Tuesday, October 25, 2011

A Calgary Golf and Country Club Veteran's Winner Trophy

I found this lovely trophy today at a local thrift store.  I don't think the store realized what a gem they had on their hands as I bought it for a song.  What drew me to this piece was the rich patina and grapevine embellishment.  I brought it home (with three silver plated trays and one silver plated bowl) with every intention of keeping the aged effect in tact.

But, I couldn't resist.  I was extremely curious as to whom this trophy had been given to in 1972.  So, out came the Goddard's polish and this is the end result.  




Of course, with a little elbow grease, I could probably get this baby to SHINE!



And I am thinking, this may be silver, not silver plated ~ have to get the granny glasses out!



The name inscribed on the trophy is a John S. Poyen.  The trophy was awarded in 1972 at the Calgary Golf and Country Club.  Mr. Poyen was the winner of the Veteran's Trophy!


An Obituary from the Honolulu Star - Bulletin January 30, 2003

John St Sauveur Poyen, 87, of Kihei, Maui, an executive in the oil and gas industry, died Sunday at home. He was born in New York. He is survived by wife Betty L., son Jock, two grandchildren and two great-grandchildren. Services: 2 p.m. Feb. 11 at Trinity-by-the-Sea Episcopal Church.



They should have included he was an excellent golfer.  God Bless you Mr. Poyen and thank you for this trophy.  I feel like a WINNER today!



No comments:

Post a Comment